Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Jacques Greene - Concealer [EP Review]

Purchase vinyl @ Redeye Records
Purchase digital @ Bleep

So, while looking around for vinyls to pick up on Redeye, I came across this release and I took a few listens, and in fact, as I'm writing this, I'm still listening to the preview over and over again.

Jacques Greene is a 21-year-old bass music producer from Montreal. Basically, he's my age, which I find crazy in some way; regardless, the quality and composition of his music is way beyond his age, making music that can reach out to a very broad audience, whether it's dubstep or R&B.

I seriously love the way vocals are used in his tracks for this EP. "Flatline," featuring Ango, reminds me in a way of how The Weeknd's tracks just have those dark, but sexy vocals over an analog sounding R&B back beat. Listening to "Clark," the vocal samples definitely remind me of the warm yet dark tracks by Burial. Overall, the EP has a bangin' analog feel to it that'll get you groovin' and/or chillin' (at the same time even, if that's what you prefer).

No comments:

Post a Comment