Saturday, March 31, 2012

TerribleFolly [Feature Interview + Upcoming Event]



TerribleFolly [I.T.S. Music Playground] : Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud


It's my firm belief that it's quite rare to find another human being that vibrates at either the same frequency as you or at a relative complimentary frequency. Say you're ringing out at C and you come across someone that's at about a G. When you put those together you form a C power chord. One of the most basic and most widely used forms of chordal music that everyone who listens to punk rock and classic rock can relate to. So during a show not too long ago I met a G note. He was a cool dude who was rocking a marvel comics t-shirt and on top of that I was digging the music he was performing. We chit chatted and I was surprised to find out we shared similar tastes in comics, anime, and music. Time traveling to more current dates I find out that I'll be performing at his CD release show. With all these situation unraveling I couldn't help but use this opportunity to do an origin story with this specific artistically inclined character. Read on below to further your understanding of the one and only, TerribleFolly...


Nativity: First off I just wanted to say a big thank you for taking time from your busy schedule to do this interview with us, before we dive deep into your sonic sounds let's begin at the beginning. Please introduce yourself and go over a brief origin story of Terrible Folly.

TF – Well my first appearance was in Amazing Fantasy #15, and i've been terrible ever since. Back in 05' ArcOne, a DJ friend of mine introduced me to some underground hip-hop i'd never been privy to like Prefuse 73, Madlib, Doom and Dilla. From there I began to spin my own versions of that, cinematic in essence. I like to joke about growing up on a couch watching movies, which is kinda true, I got the name TerribleFolly from a scene in Akira Kurosawa's “Throne of Blood”. The first song I ever did a well known producer walked into the studio and told me it was terrible and that I shouldn't use samples because I work in the music industry! So the named seemed fitting. Now I spend my time trying to blend everything I love into one project, film, music, sampling, and art. Making the old new again, it's like if Pop puked.



Nativity: Now that we have a better sense of who you are let's take things a step further and really get into how you got started with music. We'll talk about your work with 4th Street Recording a little later. It always fascinates me when I find out that special track, artist, album, or even event that sparked the initial transformation of a person into a creative and musically inclined being. What was it for you? How old were you?

TF – Creatively, Music was the last thing on my plate actually. I drew and wrote comics and wanted to make cartoons since I was a kid. I actually gave up all that for a few years when I started getting into records. Jazz and Big Band was always playing in my house growing up. But I became completely absorbed in the early days by Punk/Ska, then Reggae and Dub... I think Operation Ivy's Energy record really first opened my eyes to what power could be held by music. Through the years I've played drums, bass, trombone, piano and sang...all badly. That's why I love sampling, they did it so well, it should be heard again, in an updated format. Don't get me wrong you should go buy The Impressions -Young Mod's Forgotten Story today. But hey if you don't you can listen to my homage!

Nativity: I know this is a tough question, but name your top three albums and top three producers.

TF – I want to preface this question by at least saying these are in no particular order...My top 3 records “all-time” are Miles Davis – Kind of Blue, Sublime - 40 oz. To Freedom, and for good times we will say Daft Punk – Discovery. Top 3 Producers though I'll say...Rick Rubin – for what he can bring out of a musician, Danger Mouse – for his grooves, & Madlib – just cause.

Nativity: Being an engineer and a producer in the studio is a different type of artist in and of itself. All the engineers and producers I know have that special talent for frequencies and can pin point things most songwriters won't hear or think about. How did you get started with producing and engineering? Did one thing come first or was it a natural progression? How did you make your way from The Conservatory of Recording Arts & Sciences to becoming the chief engineer at 4th Street Recording with Kathleen?

TF – It was definitely a progression of sorts, I got my first set of turntables pre-millenium, and no one I knew had any so I had a great time figuring out how to hook it all up. After that I Dj'ed for a few years, it was the Jungle/ DrumNBass glory days back then. Really I just wanted to be around music in any capacity... So I became a technical geek. When I got to Los Angeles right away I started working with some big characters. I stumbled across a killer little studio in Santa Monica; vintage and vibey and I kinda just refused to leave! Kathleen Wirt was nice enough to give me a chance as young cat in the industry and over the past 6 years i have ran the gauntlet...I fought tooth and nail to get where i'm at and i'm not leaving!

Nativity: What have been some of the craziest clients to work with? If not "crazy" per say, any memorable studio moments?

TF – Haha! Plenty of moments that aren't radio friendly! I've worked with Sly Stone, Bryan Ferry, Pink, Flea, Horse The Band, I recently did a comedy hip-hop record with TJ Miller, that I loved called The Extended Play EP. There so many sessions it all becomes a blur. One thing i'll never forget though is when Paramount Studios hauled over 21 reels of Johnny “Guitar” Watson's entire catalog for me to remix for digital release. These reels of tape had not been touched since the 70's it was an amazing honor. Johnny has passed away but I sat with his daughter and wife as they relived the whole experience of there lives through this music. And I was their guide through the realm....that right there is why I give my life to music....plus I get to hang in the studio all day and night!



Nativity: Can you talk about the inspiration behind your upcoming release, "Retrogression". You can definitely sense that Southern California laidback vibe shining through these tracks. Tracks like "Hesitation" and ""Forever" is a Long Time" give you that driving around with the top down, or even skating around the streets in your home town vibe. In addition to that, the grooves are really focused on that smooth vinyl swing a lot of us grew up with our parents record collection. Was this a natural or intended feel?

TF – I'm not from southern california so it's awesome people connect me with that, i've read that in a few reviews. I just love vibe and cali has got a brand of it's own thas just takes you over if you let it. With my last record Dead Formats it was way more artistic than beat-driven. Retrogression actually means The process of returning from a more complex state to a simpler structure...I went from crazy editing to more loop-based beats on this record. I always envision my records like a film, the weird talking samples thrown around tell a story and the record has a musical arc of peaks and valleys. All I want for my music is to take you there. Where that is I don't know it's different for everybody. I like to escape in my head and dream. I want the listener to forget everything, go invisible and come to my Beat-Creature Double Feature.

Nativity: You have two featured artists on this release, Ultralove who's rhymes appear on "GoldSki" + 2HandRed and her soothing melodies on "Soo bad." How did those collaborations come about?

TF – I met UltraLove back in 07, amazing singer/songwriter as well as rapper, the kid's energy just blew me away. We recorded his record together and ever since he has been popping up my releases! 2HandRED I heard during a Smurko set blazing vocal filled the venue, so I had to approach her. I wanted to work with her. She came down to the studio and after we were done with her song I asked her to try some vocal oddities for the song "Sooo Bad". It's a strange song and she seemed worried but she got it in one take exactly what I wanted!



20,000hz Under The Sea | More Info


Nativity: To celebrate the release of "Retrogression" you've partnered up with I.T.S. Music Playground [shout outs to everyone in ITS] to do an album release show on March 31st down in Costa Mesa at Location 1980. The event is 20,000hz Under The Sea! and has a psychedelic luau theme to it. Can we expect a Hunter S Thompson like performance [minus the bats from bat country]? If not that, maybe a live performance with one of your featured artists from the album? How will you present your music to us at the event?

TF – How'd you know I love Gonzo??? If only I could achieve that! I've made some visual tidbits for the show, atmosphere can make music so much more intense. I'll be playing Retrogression for the first time live and remixing off the cuff plus maybe a few oldies from previous follies. I'm sure someone will appear with a microphone as they often do! I'm gonna be spinning the more danceable tracks wanna make people move! I'm sure ITS will have the place decked out to the 9's in trip factor. Should be a boomer with a mad lineup of djs for the festivities. It's gonna be a night i'll try not to forget.

Nativity: We've done a Feature Interview with Steven Kerns, the I.T.S. Music Playground executive director in the past. Him and his whole crew have been busy in the last 6 months or so. How did you link up with I.T.S. Music Playground?

TF – 4th Street Recording actually, Fellow ITS'er Static Cast used to work there with me, he introduced me to Steven. Kerns liked my music when I didn't think anybody was getting it, put a few years space between that and there you go. Good Listener I believe was the one who asked me to play his record release party and that was my first involvement with ITS. The Music Playground people are great they are totally obsessed with music. I like to work with and be around good people. They definitely fit the bill. Great parties, music and visuals.



Nativity: This may be a random question to the readers out there, but Terrible Folly and I have a shared interest in things sci-fi, anime, and cartoon related. So I have to ask, all time favorite anime [movie and or series]? Any thoughts on why hollywood has made it their goal to butcher our favorite childhood cartoons?

TF – I got this. My all time favorite anime series is Cowboy Bebop. Hands down. No Question. 2nd runner up has to be Death Note. But for this crowd here; Everyone needs to see Interstella 5555 – Daft Punk & Leiji Matsumoto's Animated House Musical. It's a blast. As far as the Hollywood Reboot Phase goes I'm assuming we are talking about my twitter rant of Micheal Bay's Ninja Turtles. He is talking about redoing the origin and making them aliens. Specifically though I take Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles personally. I grew up with them through many phases and still collect the original comics from the 80's. I think though to be objective, I will say that, I remix music like he sampled and flipped the Ninja Turtles. When something is great you want to experience it over and over.

Nativity: Thanks again for doing the interview! Is there anything else you'd like to share with your fans + family + supporters? Where can they purchase their own copy of Retrogression?

TF – Sure Man, Thanks to you and Dank Radio for having me of course. I'd like to thank Steven Kerns and ITS Music Playground for all their hard work bringing it loud and proud to So Cal. My Nintendo and to all the bloggers out there on the interwebs from Paris to Tokyo thanks for spreading the word! You can listen or download all my records at TerribleFolly.bandcamp.com The new record Retrogression will be available 3/31, and the download has a few extra morsels of digital goodness for all you beatgrubbers.

Tour Date:
3/31  20,000hz Under The Sea (TerribleFolly's CD release show) w/ TerribleFolly + Static_Cast + Smurko + Audio Pool + Nativity + 3rd Rock V.S. Shaun P (Vinyl Skratch Battle)  | More Info

Nativity

No comments:

Post a Comment