Thursday, March 8, 2012

Bassrush presents Funktion Wednesdays: Photek & Reso @ Dim Mak Studios 02/08/12 [Concert Review]

Photo credit: Oh Dag Yo/Bassrush
This was my first time attending a Bassrush event as well as attending an event at the Dim Mak Studios in Hollywood, formerly known as the Cinespace. Bassically (see what I did there?), I didn't know what to expect, which I felt was a good thing, because it meant that I had no expectations (good or bad) walking in. After spending a good amount of time looking for parking, I finally was able to get to the venue. Although I was a bit late, I managed to get there right when Reso was starting his set.

Photo credit: Oh Dag Yo/Bassrush
As soon as I got inside the venue, I immediately heard the roar of the basslines that Reso was spinning. Reso started out powerfully with a selection of hard and deep drum & bass and drumstep tracks that had the crowd dancing. What I really enjoyed about his set (and what I also like about his productions) is his eclecticism. Reso is a producer who has eclectic tastes in music and as a result, produces a wide variety of tracks, which could be anything from loud midrange heavy dubstep and drumstep to deep and technical drum & bass and wonky beats. He shifted gears halfway through his set by moving from a d&b tempo to the slower tempo of dubstep. Reso's shift into a deeper and hard hitting selection of tracks helped set up the next DJ who was to spin right after him, Photek.

Photo credit: Oh Dag Yo/Bassrush
Photek, the legendary electronic producer known for his monumental and influential drum & bass album Modus Operandi, came up to the stage. As he was preparing a complicated-looking laptop DJ set up next to the CDJs, you could hear the crowd going crazy for Photek as he was about to start his set. Photek started out his set with a bootleg of Justice's "Genesis" (If anyone knows where to find it, please send it over to; I don't care if it's a 240p YouTube link, that remix was legit) and played drum & bass for the first part of his set. Later, he shifted gears into dubstep and played lots of tracks that I've never heard before. His track selection just blew my mind away because what he was playing sounded like nothing I've listened to before.

[e]ccentric captured by: Regal D/Radio Bomb

Overall, the crowd was great and I was getting good vibes from everyone in the tiny venue. The dance floor had plenty of room to move about, and I liked the intimate feeling of the venue and being able to go up close to the stage to see the artists performing up close. The sound system, of course, was amazing. To say that Funktion One speakers are anything but amazing and spectacular would simply be false. The sound of the subs and the speakers just articulated all the complex sounds that these two talented producers and DJs fed into the sound system. I definitely looking forward to the biggest underground talent in bass music that Bassrush can pull in the near future!

More Pics from Regal D/Radio Bomb @ Jungle Scene:



No comments:

Post a Comment