Friday, June 22, 2012

SMOG Presents: Von D @ SMOG Sundays 6/10/12 [Concert Review]



French bass music producer Von D was in town for his first LA appearance, and let me tell you, I was pumped that he was going to be at SMOG Sundays. Even though he came on a weekend that a good amount of the LA crowd was in Las Vegas for EDC, that didn't bother me ‘cause that meant more room and bass for me. Von D is underrated with his style – he brings that "sexy" form of bass music with female vocals while also bringing in that dark and deep bass. I use the word “sexy” because of his track "Show Me" – just take a listen to his latest LP "Daydreaming," and you will understand. 




I arrived about 11ish and was welcomed with the sounds of Kelly Dean. He definitely set the tone of the night with some REAL bass music. As I looked around when Von D was about go on, I could feel the vibe. I knew the night was going to be off the hook because the setting was intimate and not too crowded. Von D opened up the gates with a "Show Me" edit (or remix) with those bass rattling Funktion-One speakers that I must say are necessary for any proper bass show. As I swayed back and forth on the dance floor, more people filled up the space. The crowd responded with a whistle or two as Von D mixed into some dark but uplifting sounds with the track "Your My.” I noticed dubstep tracks with vocals get people going especially any tracks talking about love or relationships. Von D sets the bar for those kind of tracks which I think he needs more lovin’ for.

The crazy thing about this show is that about thirty minutes into his set, no one is sitting down; everyone was standing up, moving to the sounds of Von D. Towards the end of his set, the crowd gave him mad props with some claps and whistles as he dropped Joker’s "Tron" into "Show Me" (full track). The crowd went off as the lyrics of show me were coming out of everyone's mouth. Towards the end of his set he dropped Mr. Lager’s "Four Leaf Clover (Von D Remix)”. Wow, what a track. The smooth bassline just gave me goosebumps.



I must say that this was one of my top favorite shows I've been to in a while. Von D’s set was just perfect. It's unfortunate that his date in LA landed on a day most of LA was at EDC. Big shout outs to SMOG for keeping it real in LA for the bass/dubstep scene; it’s cool to hear different styles of bass music. If people spread the word, it will get much more respect because it's simply not all the same sound (i.e. waiting for the drop). There is so much more to this genre, as Von D is one of those artists who explore the smooth, easy listening bass line tracks that anyone can enjoy. So, with that being said, big ups to Von D for his first LA appearance. Remember all you Dank Radio followers, be open to different styles of music. You might fall in love with sounds you have never heard before.

- semA

No comments:

Post a Comment