Thursday, June 14, 2012

Frank Nitt [Feature Interview]



Detroit’s Frank Nitt has seen it all, more so than your average ‘keep it real’ MC. He has seen the meteoric rise and untimely death of friend, collaborator and certified hip hop legend J Dilla. He eye-witnessed Common record a platinum album, and Black Thought free-styling in a strip club parking lot. And he now chronicles his first hand experiences in the 48 page memoir The View from the Underground, which comes included in this brand new deluxe casebook edition album, Stadium Music. As Frank Nit puts it; ‘All of my travel, all of my musical influences, and all of my relationships… I talk about love on there, and hardship. I talk about just wanting to be a dope MC.‘ The album features beats and rhymes by Illa J, Que D, Dank, Kid Sublime, Kevin Cofield, Numbe:ra and others, plus a foreword by his personal acquaintance and adult film star Tara Lynn Foxx.” We chat with Frank to get the low down on Stadium Music and everything else Frank Nitt related.

Dank Radio: Can you give us a brief background about yourself, history of Frank N Dank, and how you hooked up with J D?

Frank Nitt: I've been putting out hip hop since 1998/99 as a member of FnD [Frank N Dank] and I began my solo career in 2008, I actually met dilla in 1986, we went to middle school together, so the music side just grew from that.. it wasnt a, I met a producer and we became friends, my friend became a producer!

DR: We just had Elzhi’s Memory Lane on our featured videos, which included footage from Detroit’s legendary hip hop shop. Can you talk a little bit about your experiences there?

FN: Man the hip hop shop was everything for us kids wanting be apart of the culture.. it was the outlet for all things hip hop..lol, and proof made it the ideal environment! organized but chaotic and fun! who knows what we would have been doing? RIP big Proof

DR: What is the current landscape of the Detroit Hip Hop scene? Are you going to be on the Rebirth of Detroit?

FN: The landscape is lush, there is alot of hip hop popping off.. all styles and types and the rebirth definitely highlights that! and yes im on it!! I have a song with illa j called "do it for dilla dawg" ..dopeness!!!


DR: How long have you been working on the new album? We heard that you’re handling some of the production on the new album, if so, what kind of equipment are you using?



FN: The new project is an album and a book, its called "Stadium Music/The ViewFrom The Underground." it took me roughly 4 or 5 months to get it all done, it was broken up tho it wasnt straight thru. i produced every record on Stadium Music and Kevin Cofield co produced on two songs. I use the mpc 500 for and abelton live and reason.. and thats really it.. a few keyboards triton, moog.


DR: What is your process of creating? What comes first, the lyrics or the music? What has been one of your main sources of inspiration in your recent phase of writing? Who else’s energy has contributed to the creative process?

FN: The music usually comes first, I might come with a few slick bars without music but, usually the music drives the lyrics for me. life is my biggest inspiration, I like to watch people and just pick up on the things they do..and that inspires me! people watching in foreign places is really good for my music making..lol, and everybody involved with this project on the creative side , energy was used to make this happen, album and book!

DR: What are you most excited for about this album? Are you planning a special release show or listening party? We know Frank N Dank is big in Europe and Canada, is there any chance for a US tour?

FN: People know me as a mc, not as an author or producer so im really amped for them to get those aspects of the project. dont trip the bars are epic, but I think people will be surprised by the other aspects. on the tour side me and illa j did a 20 city u.s tour in 2010 so the plan is to put something like that together for this project so yes us dates are gonna happen!!


Frank Nitt: Blog | Twitter | Facebook

DR: What’s next? Everyone has a bootleg copy of Frank N Dank’s 48 Hours, but will there ever be an official physical release?

FN: right now its all about Stadium Music /The View From the Underground and my label Digipop, but with that said we are looking to re release 48 hours in a proper fashion hopefully before the end of the year, and sooner than that touring for me in support of the new joint

DR: Last but not least, what is an Earl Flynn??

FN: its an oldschool detroit dance! hard to explain how to do it, but when u see me ask and ill show!

DR: Final Words? Where can the fans get the most up to date news on everything involving Frank Nitt?

FN: thank you and GO cop Stadium Music/ The View from The Underground!!!!! you can find me at
theviewfromtheunderground.com 
@franknitt on twitter
facebook.com/frank.nitty1


Buy Links:
Stadium Music/The View from the Underground: Amazon
Rebirth of Detroit: J Dilla Merch | Amazon | iTunes

[e]njoy

No comments:

Post a Comment