Tuesday, March 1, 2011

PhillySoundSystem [Feature Interview]


PhillySoundSystem : Soundcloud | Twitter

UK producer and DJ Nic Phillips aka Phillysoundsystem is a huge up and coming producer from the rising bass scene whose dubstep tracks have been featured prominently on Beatport. At 27 years old, he’s had his share of experience (about 15 years worth) in the world of music production and DJing. With two EPs released under LU10 Records, his tracks have a wide variety of sounds and influences that set his tracks apart from many contemporary dubstep producers. We were fortunate enough for him to take the time to give us an insight into his productions, what’s coming up in the near future for him, and more. -fabricated

fabricated: Before I begin, thank you for doing this interview with us. First thing’s first, how did the name Phillysoundsystem come about?
PhillySoundSystem: PhillySoundSystem came about for 2 main reasons, My surname is Phillips and I wanted a name that would represent my own sound. Back in the day music was heard on “SoundSystems” so get there particular sound across, which this combination of names I was hoping to get the same vibe across to people who buy/listen to my music

fabricated: I read Beatportal’s “The Frontlines – Dubstep November Edition” from a couple months ago and I noticed that you started producing over 10 years ago. How did you get your start into production and how did you find your way into the bass scene?
PhillySoundSystem: Yea its near 15 years now, I was in school about 11-12 and my music teacher allowed me to stay after school in the studio and try and figure out how 2 make my compositions onto a computer. I started of on Atari Notator, then progressed from makin white labels (vinyl) and my 1st genre I started making was Jungle and Speed garage. Dubstep is like a new form of Drum and bass in the fact that all types are covered and are accepted. I like to make music away from the norm and Dubstep has allowed me to do this.

PhillySoundSystem - Come to your brother (thou shall not fall) by PhillySoundSystem


fabricated: I’ve been diggin’ a lot of what you’ve released, from your proper releases on LU10 Records to those that you post every now and then on your Soundcloud, and I know you’ve probably had a lot of musical influences from the bass scene, but would you happen to have any musical or non-musical influences outside of dubstep and grime that influence your productions and/or your DJ’ing?
PhillySoundSystem: Funny enough and how sad it sounds normal things around me inspire me to make music.. Could be a nice sunny day, might be drunk, could be reminiscing they all play a part in my productions.. Outside of Dubstep I also make house music and Hip hop they have an impact in my production style and layout.

fabricated: As an aspiring producer, I really enjoy reading up on other producers’ set ups and their techniques. What’s currently your main DAW of choice for producing? Also, what synths do you use to get those huge basslines?
PhillySoundSystem: Ive have used many DAWs over the years ive stuck with Reason because I have supported it since it came out (they have took a lot of money from me haha) it’s a software I can use just the same if I was playing play station or sumthing I still get the satisfaction after 11 years of using it. My basses all come from 1 unit “Malestrom” since most players are using VSTs it gives me a different sound and to create a unique sound from there is much easier.

Figure - The Phantom (PhillySoundSystem Remix) by PhillySoundSystem

fabricated: Dubstep’s been blowing up in the recent years, so many new producers and DJs are getting into the game, and a lot of the ones that have been in the scene just keep coming out with bigger tracks. Do you have any favorite contemporary producers or DJs that are currently active in the bass scene?
PhillySoundSystem: Because the scene has a lot of players in it, I tend not 2 listen to dubstep as much as I should, it takes a special kind of producer to get my ears to turn to the direction of the sound. “Figure” is a big player for me in the bass scene his stuff is very good, Enigma from the UK which is a great pal of mine his stuff will be blowing up soon, but for my own choice, Low Deep, Virgo, CRT, Swifta Beata are my favs at the mo.

fabricated: I know you’ve been DJ’ing for almost a decade, and I’m sure you’ve had some awesome gigs during that time. Is there anywhere around the world that you’ve always wanted or you’d like to perform at?
PhillySoundSystem: Yes!! This is a VERY Short answer. USA!!! ALL DAY ANY DAY!! USA for music is like apple and pie. They go so well..

PhillySoundSystem - Gorilla Warfare by PhillySoundSystem

fabricated: Finally, what’s in store for Phillysoundsystem in the near (or distant) future? Any gigs coming up soon? And as for releases, what direction will your music be heading towards for your next release at the end of this month?
PhillySoundSystem: Please check out my new release which is Gorilla Warfare EP it features my best Dubstep tracks to date and goin on from that I will be working with UK and US artists so big things are in the pipeline. All my music is released on all good Mp3 Stockists. Other EPs you can check out is Memory Lane and Sex Drugs and Hospital. I will be working on Gigs this year more but my focus is on the production and the music.

fabricated: Thank you so much for letting us interview you. Any last words of wisdom you’d like to share with our readers?
PhillySoundSystem: Thank you to Dank Radio for the support, make sure you tune into them whenever you can and support them back. Thanks to Sean at Beatport for his support! My label Lu10 and anyone who wishes to purchase my music or interact with me follow me on twitter,
@PhillySoundUK

No comments:

Post a Comment