Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Electro Wars


Not too long ago I remember the heated debate about vinyl versus mp3s. I remember going to the club scratching my head wondering why this dude was only showing up with a messenger bag with his headphones, two fake records, and a macbook. I would talk amongst my DJ friends and ask them "What's the deal? You guys got tired of hauling milk crates to and from the venues?" They would then laugh and I'd explain, "I remember when I had to carry crates up 4 flights of stairs just so my cousin would give me a 10 min. slot at this party.(That was about 10 years ago)" People still discuss that same issue but these days it's more so about Serato VS. Traktor VS. Ableton.

Another burning topic has surfaced and this time it's about the music. The Electro Wars is the title of this battle and a recently debuted documentary by Stephen Alex Vasquez. Stephen with his partner in crime, Carmine Rizzo explore this new/old front of electronic dance music with the help of A-Trak, Dave-1, DJ Premier, Lil Jon, Ninjasonik, Steve Aoki, Laidback Luke, Diplo, Q-Bert and more. They cover the emergence of bedroom producers, to the popularity game of blogs and blog aggregators, and the evolution/transition of former Hip Hop heavy weights into present day kings of Electro.

They have yet to announce a premier for Los Angeles but rest assured, you'll know, when we know.

<->Noel<->

No comments:

Post a Comment