Thursday, April 22, 2010

Aloe Blacc - I Need A Dollar


Video for Aloe Blacc's single "I Need A Dollar" from the forthcoming album Good Things
Video Produced by What Matters Most and Funk Factory Films
Photography: Matthew J.Lloyd
Director: Kahlil Joseph

Some of my friends know of my recent liking to a new HBO show called How To Make It In America. In short, it follows the lives of two guys in their mid/late 20s trying to make something of themselves in one of the toughest cities to hustle. Whatever your thoughts are on the actual authenticity of the characters portrayed, you have to give it to them, it's a challenge to get your sh(*)t together in life.

In addition to getting your life in order, a majority of my fellow Americans (myself included), are apart of the growing status of unemployment. With my savings shrinking and lack of jobs growing, the importance of getting that dollar bill grows more and more each day. Aloe Blacc has managed to summarize the thoughts and emotion behind this predicament with great accuracy.

"I had a job but the boss man let me go. He said
I'm sorry but I won't be needing your help no more. I said
Please mister boss man I need this job more than you know
But he gave me my last paycheck and he sent me on out the door"

I applaud HBO for picking the perfect song to describe the show and the current state of people across the world. My hats off to Aloe Blacc for capturing this moment in time. Word on the street is that he's hiding somewhere in Long Beach. If I ever run into him, I'd be more than happy to scrounge up a handful of quarters, walk over to Eddie's Liquor store, and buy him a MadDog as a kind gesture of gratitude.


Aloe Blacc Tour Dates:
April 27 Commonwealth Lounge - Fullerton, CA

<->Noel<->

"The key to everything everybody here in America is the money." - Aloe Blacc

No comments:

Post a Comment