Friday, January 11, 2013

Badklaat & Coffi at Quality Control @ Beyond The Stars Palace 01/04 [Concert Review]

Photo credit: Nativity
Pickle Productions' Quality Control at Beyond the Stars Palace in Glendale, CA hosted last week the deep, heavy, and dirty sounds of Badklaat, Coffi, Megalodon, Sam XL, and more. With Pure Filth on the sound system, Quality Control was essentially (to me, at least) the dubstep event for those who have been looking for something not too experimental and out there but at the same time, also not too filthy and abrasive.


Badklaat and Coffi were the main headliners for the evening, coming in from and representing the UK. If you haven't heard of Badklaat or Coffi, definitely check out some of their work on Dubstar Records and Bassclash Records. While the performers played a lot of midrange-heavy tunes, I felt that within the context of a club, it worked out better in the dimly lit venue than it would at, say, an open-air festival/massive.


The bass from the Pure Filth sound system basically rattled my insides as soon as I walked through the door of the venue and it made me wanted to start skanking and nodding my head as soon as I got in. I have to admit, Pure Filth's sound system definitely gives Funkworks' system a run for its money when it comes to having a loud, clean sound system for bass music.


The crowd was definitely digging the tunes – everyone that I was speaking with outside definitely had a strong love for dubstep and bass music in general. It was pretty hard to miss an in-depth conversation with someone outside on the patio about dubstep and bass music in general. I also felt that the crowd was pretty balanced out as far as those who came to party and those who came to vibe out to the tunes.

What I really liked about the event besides the drinks being very cheap (those drink specials were ridiculous!) was that there was a lot of room to move. I also really liked the vibes throughout the evening and the artwork, visuals, and lighting all around definitely added a neat touch.

I am definitely looking forward to what Pickle Productions has lined up for the next Quality Control and an especially a big thank you to Jon for the hospitality, and whose feature interview you can read right here!


No comments:

Post a Comment