Thursday, May 19, 2011

I.T.S. Presents : Beats For A Bench [Feature Interview]


I.T.S. Presents : Beats For A Bench : Event Info | Pre Sale Tickets

Over the past year it has become even more apparent to me that the city of Long Beach is becoming more and more organized in terms of quality music events. Sure you can say I'm biased because I'm involved with a handful of events. I'm also biased because a good number of my friends are creating/nurturing these events. Regardless of my ties to the city it's safe to say we have something to say and more importantly we stand for something. Whether it be for music, fun, family, or the benefit of our fellow human beings.

Recently through various circles of music heads I met a man who also stands for something. To trail it back a couple steps we clicked because we liked the same music. Whenever I meet another being who diggs what I digg then we automatically click. Enter Steven Kerns, who gave me a heads up about this event he was organizing for a fallen comrade. I asked him who was performing and he told me. I asked him where was it going to be held and he said, "Long Beach." That's more than enough info for me right there. I'd go into greater detail, but I'm just going to let him do most of the talking...


Nativity: I want to start by saying thank you for taking the time to do this Interview. I know you're a busy man these days. The event is coming up this Saturday and there must be a million things you still need to do. Before we dive in please introduce yourself and explain how Beats for a Bench Veterans Memorial Benefit came to be. How did you get in touch with the creators of the documentary "Restrepo" and what was their reaction when you approached them.

Steven: I would like to say thank you for having me first and foremost, I really appreciate the support! The event does take a lot of my time, yes, but I can always make time for you guys, I stand behind what you're doing. To answer your question, my name is Steven Kerns, I am a former soldier, and music and art lover, haha, I don't know I'm me. The event was created in honor of my friend and fellow Long Beach native, Sgt Israel Garcia. A few years ago when we were in Afghanistan together he was killed 4 days before we came home in the controversial battle of Wanat. It was really bad shit man, I felt terrible. He used to joke with me, since we were both from Long Beach, that I didn't know Long Beach. I always told him I did. I felt like the sacrifice a man makes like that, 4 days before he was coming home. I don't know, when you could've done anything from high-school and you volunteer to do that so others don't have to it just it inspired me. So I went to Poly to try and get a plaque put onto a bench, originally they said no. Lots of red tape later, they said I could do it but I'd have to fund it, that kind of lead to this. A guy with a mission.

As for the creators of "Restrepo" well the movie was made about us, that was my unit, those were operations I was a member of. So when I sent Sebastian Junger an email telling him about it, he was immediately behind it, in a real strong way too, he volunteered autographed "Restrepo" posters and was going to come from New York to present it but with Tim, the other co-creator, getting killed in Libya, things changed, but he has been a very strong supporter and encourager.


Restrepo directed by Sebastian Junger and the late Tim Hetherington : Official

Nativity: I think it's great that you've incorporated music for your event. Music has such a healing property that brings people together for positive expression. Growing up what were some of your favorite records? If you can't think of anything off the top of your head, how about 3 favorite songs/artists?

Steven: I appreciate music, and I fully agree that music has a healing property in the way it makes everything else in the moment go away except for the music itself and those who are there with you, that's a beautiful kind of peace ya know? After the war, I can definitely say music has been a place of peace in my life. Growing up I think my three favorite records would be The Offspring "Smash" it really caught my feelings of growing up and not wanting to just fall in line. Between the Buried and Me "Alaska" was another huge hit with me, the emotional and intellectual expression happening in just the rhythms of their songs are massive. . I guess the last but not least of the three would've been, The Chronic 2001. I am a huge Dre fan, he is one of the greatest producers of our time, really not ahead of the game, but at the time I think dictating it. The whole cd is a smooth bit.

Nativity: In what way has your passion for music lead to the creation of I.T.S. Music? More importantly what is your role in the group and where would you like the group to be later down the road. I understand this is the first official I.T.S. Music event, will there be more in the future?

Steven: Oh man I.T.S. was created by random chance actually. My friends Chris and Joe-Matt had just gotten me to spit a flow for the first time, and my friend Joe got stuck saying ITS. So I said Inspiration Talent and Skill, and it started as a music sharing group, that kind of evolved to a strong artistic collective. Its a shared passion really, that creates I.T.S. I guess my role in the group is "Founder". I just kind of use it as a springboard for ideas, there's a lot of possibility in the future, a lot of great potential and ambition inside the playground. This is the first I.T.S. event, and I could very easily see more in the future, a lot of great musicians are already playing around the Long Beach and Orange County areas. I would definitely say keep your eyes open.


Nativity: Let's turn our thoughts back towards the Beats for a Bench event. How and why did you chose the performers that are scheduled to play? I've seen Thavius Beck perform in a live setting as well as teach his amazing Ableton course. DJ Nobody from the Low End Theory family is a great performer as well. Was it a conscious effort to focus more on the electronic and DJ oriented music? Are Nalepa and Static_Cast involved with I.T.S. Music?

Steven: The musicians I picked are people I pay to see. People who I believe have immense talent. Thavius Beck was actually one of my earliest supporters. I asked assuming nothing would come of it, but he agreed to play a show, and it kind of gave me the confidence to really run with it. Nobody was also an early supporter, and I really like his sets in the fact that they can come in heavy and really bass centered, or dive into some fresh swag style hip hop. That variety I felt was something that really opened the doors for several different types of fans. As for the focus, yes there was definitely a strong orientation towards electronic music. I really did want to create a line-up that I would be excited for, and given the nature of the way the EXPO is going to be designed by the various artists I felt that this music was a total fit. As for Professor Nalepa and being involved with I.T.S. I can only say I would be humbled and honored if Steve Nalepa was a part of I.T.S. In a lot of ways he reminds me of The Pixies, you have this great music talent, that I feel inspires immediately, but doesn't take the forefront of attention. The Pixies were a huge inspiration on Nirvana and in the same way I feel like Nalepa has been that way to electronic music, I feel all the artists selected meet the mantra of Inspiration Talent and Skill. As for Static_Cast, yeah they're definitely I.T.S. people. The reason I know anything about music is from those guys, great talent that I feel will be a great success in the future. 3rd Rock [Shout out to the hommie ThirdRock!] is also on the line-up now and he's an I.T.S. Playgrounder, there's a lot of talent bottled up in there, I feel like this is just the beginning.

Nativity: I see. That's great you've brought all of these different musicians together. In addition to the artists performing you have support from Daddy Kev's label Alpha Pup and Pure Filth. Were they also eager supporters for your cause? How difficult was it to get a hold of them? There must be some kind of funny/random story to explain this. I haven't seen that many smaller local events with their full support.

Steven: I can honestly say, if it weren't for the musicians and the many great supporters I've had there wouldn't be a benefit, I give them the credit, they really made this happen. As for Pure Filth and Daddy Kev, it was probably the most difficult to get them in on this, not because they were unwilling to support but I was just nervous about it at first. I've been going to Low End Theory for years now so, to me Kevin is the Godfather of something I really support, I didn't want to come to him until I had something to show, ya know? I wanted him to take me seriously, I know busy people don't have time to always endorse an idea, but its a lot easier when you come with a plan. As for Sam, Pure Filth, there was definitely some persistence in getting a hold of him, but once I finally did and explained the whole thing he was immediately on board, which was a huge success for me. I wouldn't ask the musicians to play on a sound system that didn't fully capture the depth of their music, so it was a great feeling knowing that Sam could help me with that. As for the funny story, I'd say the first time I really approached Kevin, was at a random Low End Theory, and I was kind of nervous, I felt like I wouldn't be taken seriously. I'm normally not a shy person, but I kind of stood there awkwardly, and stumbled into the conversation, stumbled over my words, and didn't really explain it the way I wanted to, it was all bad. I was pretty shocked when he asked me to come to the offices later down the road. I feel like a lot of support would and will be given to the smaller events around Long Beach. There is a lot of venues here, a huge fan base, I feel its in that forming stage, it just needs some time and recognition.


Nativity: Looks like it's going to be a fun event this Saturday. Thanks again for taking the time to do this interview Steven. Is there anything else you'd like to share? Any other special info we need to know about the event? Is there any way for people to donate and/or get involved if they are unable to attend?

Steven: Thank you guys for having me! Its been great, as for the information about the event, I'd definitely say buy your tickets now, on pre sale because there's a good chance its going to sell-out. If you want to support but can't come there's also a website on the U.S. Vets page that's just for this event. There is a phone number listed to take donations. Above all else, I just want to emphasize, this is to give kids at a local high-school a positive role-model, to honor a guy who died in service for our country. Thanks to all my supporters, every one of them, without them this wouldn't have been more than a dream. Keep your eyes open for I.T.S. good music brings good things.

5/21 I.T.S. Presents : Beats For A Bench @ EXPO | $10 Pre - $ 15 Door | More Info
Thavius Beck [Mush Records|Dubspot|Ableton]
DJ Nobody [Alpha Pup|LowEndTheory]
Nalepa [Chapman University|Dubspot]
Static_Cast [I.T.S.Playground]
3rd Rock [I.T.S.Playground]
+ SPECIAL GUESTS !?!

[e]ccentric & I will be covering this event. If you see us say hello. More importantly if you have music and/or an event that you'd like for us to cover let us know...

Nativity

No comments:

Post a Comment